My Dog Ate Chocolate

Chocolate poisoning signs or symptoms in dogs include anxiety, heavy panting, and a fast heart rate.

The most dangerous ingredients for dogs in chocolate are theobromine and caffeine. Both of them can cause death at high enough levels.

If your dog ate chocolate - especially if you suspect it was a large amount, call your vet straight away. Your dog may need immediate emergency care.

You can also call the Pet Poison Helpline at 1-855-213-6680

Read the rest of the article for more information on chocolate, white or dark and how it interacts with a dogs metabolism.

How much chocolate can a dog eat?

It will only require one ounce per pound of dog body weight for chocolate to poison it and become deadly. 

One pound of milk chocolate is poisonous enough for 20 pound dog. While half pound is enough for a 10 pound dog. 

We looked at a range of chocolate bars and found that the average chocolate bar you buy contains about 2/3 ounces of milk chocolate. And it will take just one ounce per pound of dog body weight for it to become very serious and may result in death.

The quantity of chocolate it takes to kill a dog will depend on how heavy the dog is and the type of chocolate.

See below a table that gives you and indication on how much milk, dark or even baking chocolate my dog can eat before it becomes toxic.

Why is chocolate bad for dogs?

Chocolate is bad and poisonous to dogs largely because of its theobromine content, which dogs can not to metabolize effectively.

What to do if your dog eats chocolate?

What to Do If Your Dog Ate Chocolate - If you think your dog ate chocolate, call your veterinarian immediately or call the Pet Poison Helpline (855-213-6680) for advice.

Symptoms of chocolate poisoning in dogs

For most dogs, the most visible clinical signs are vomiting and diarrhoea plus lots of drinking, panting and restlessness showing the dog is uncomfortable. Also excessive urination, and a fast heart rate. In severe cases you may see muscle tremors, seizures, and in the most severe heart failure.

what to do if your dog eats chocolate home remedies

My dog ate chocolate what do i do?

Usually, your dog will vomit on their own accord.  Often though if they do not, your vet might ask you to give them hydrogen peroxide to make them vomit or throw up -- The dosage to make a dog vomit is - 1 tablespoon for every 20 pounds

A good way to get your dog to take it is for you to use a turkey baster or a medicine dropper.

How long does it take for a dog to Show Symptoms after eating chocolate?

How long does it take for a dog to get sick after eating chocolate?

- six to 12 hours

Your dog will usually get sick and show symptoms of chocolate poisoning in around six to 12 hours, but they can appear also a lot sooner as each dog is different - and they could appear within one hour. 

If you know your dog has eaten chocolate, act immediately and don't wait for the signs to appear.

White chocolate and dogs

White chocolate and dogs do not mix well - do not feed your dog white chocolate.

When measured against milk or dark chocolate, white chocolate is not nearly as poisonous to dogs. But it has a high fat content, which can cause similar symptoms to chocolate poisoning e.g like vomiting and diarrhea.

Milk chocolate and dogs

For many dogs, ingesting small amounts of milk chocolate is not harmful as dark chocolate.

Will milk chocolate kill a dog - yes if they eat enough.

How much milk chocolate is toxic to dogs 
See Our Table Above For How Much Milk Chocolate Can A Dog Eat

Dark or bakers chocolate and dogs

Dark chocolate is the most toxic for for dogs - the darker the chocolate the worse it is. 

Also Baking chocolate is also very bad for dogs.

Dog owners will often ask how much chocolate can kill a dog. While there is no absolute answer to this, what we do know is dogs will show symptoms of poisoning when they eat about 20mg of theobromine (the toxic chemical in chocolate) for every kilogram they weigh. 

These symptoms become severe at 40 to 50mg per kg.

Can My dog eat m&m's

While one M&M's typically will not kill your dog - remember any chocolate is not good for dogs.

One Cup of M&M's which is about 170g or 6 oz  contains approximately 180mg of Theobromine - the toxic compound for dogs. Also they contain caffeine which is not good for canines either.

Can dogs dies from eating chocolate

Yes, chocolate is poison to dogs. While fatal only if large amounts are eaten, chocolate can result in significant pain for dogs. 
jim
Tim Is a dog lover all his life and the owner of 3 dogs. He likes the saying - "you are what you eat" and lives by that for both himself and his pets. He is passionate that pet owners should also care about feeding them the right foods.
crossmenu